Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
Romans 3:4 says, “let God be true, but every man a liar.” Perhaps this truth serves as the foundational reason why God warned believers not to place their trust in man. Though the primary reason, it is not the only reason. In Psalm 146:3 the Lord warns, “Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.” The real needs of mankind cannot be satisfied by man, even the best of men. Those who put their trust in man do so in disobedience to the Lord which results in their own personal harm. Psalm 118:8-9 twice stresses that “It is better to trust in the LORD.” An improper trust in man is, in many ways, a departure from the Lord (Jeremiah 17:5).
- (For children): When Jesus came to earth, He could have trusted in Himself since He was God, but He willingly gave us an example that we should trust in our heavenly Father (Hebrews 2:13). No one loves you more or has more power to help you than God (2 Corinthians 1:9-10). Read Jeremiah 17:5, 7 and Micah 7:5.
- (For everyone): Though we are certainly to have loved ones in our lives, we are not to put our trust in them in disregard of trusting the Lord. How can we insure that this does not happen?
- In what men should we be careful to put our trust (i.e., politicians, teachers, preachers, media, friends, family)? What could be the dangers in putting our trust in each?
- Ask the Lord to teach you the dangers of trusting in man.
- Ask the Lord to guide you in fully trusting Him above all others.
Quotes from the next volume
(VOLUME 3, WEEK 44)
Subject: Sobriety (con’t)
A man’s thoughts are the foundations of his actions. If a man fails to be sober minded, he will likely fail to be sober in his actions.
Sobriety is more than a way of thinking, it is the scriptural approach to Christian living.
Sobriety is a companion with gravity (1 Timothy 3:11; Titus 2:2) and causes a believer to perceive himself as he really is.