2 John 1:3 Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
Truth and love can and must coexist in every believer’s life. It is a common misconception that truth and love are in conflict and thus one always overshadows the other. It has often been supposed that one must choose to implement truth or implement love but never both at the same time. This is a great fallacy. The fact is that neither can truly exist without the other. God is a God of truth and if He were anything other than a God of truth, He would cease to be God. Simultaneously to God being a God of truth, He is also a God of love. Simply put, God does not have to stop being a God of truth in order to be a God of love. Certainly, the opposite holds true too. He does not have to cease being a God of love in order to be a God of truth.
• (For children): John 3:16 shows the fact that God is both truth and love at the same time. He loved us enough that He gave His only begotten Son that we can have life. At the same time, He tells us the truth that we have to believe or perish. Telling the truth is love.
• (For everyone): Read Exodus 34:6; Psalm 40:10-11; and John 1:14, 17. What in these verses leads you to believe that God can implement truth and love simultaneously?
• On which side do you generally err: truth or love? Why do you err on that side? Do you justify your action supposing that you are erring on the right side? How is this wrong?
• Ask the Lord to help you find the balance of truth and love.
• Thank God for His willingness to manifest both truth and love to each of us.
SONG: WHAT A WONDERFUL SAVIOUR!