Ecclesiastes 4:7 Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun.
8 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail.
9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
Life presents many troubles that at times make it difficult to stand strong in the Christian walk. Standing alone makes it seem nigh impossible. Perhaps this is why God created friendships. The most precious times amongst spiritually-minded friends often take place when one of them finds himself in need. Far too many Christians stumble and fall spiritually because they have no one offering support and encouragement. True Christian friends are a help when those troublesome times arise. A true Christian friend encourages and strengthens his friend before he hits his lowest point and contemplates quitting. The heartbeat of Ecclesiastes 4:7-10 reveals that it is hard to serve the Lord alone. Yet serving Him with Christian friends provides extra strength in times of weakness and despair. A friend may be there to lift his brother up one day only to find the act of kindness reciprocated on another occasion.
• (For children): You want to hand someone a tract or speak to someone new at church, but you are afraid to do so. Your friend says, “I’ll go with you and help.” Friends can help us do what the Lord wants us to do.
• (For everyone): What kind of friends do you have? Are they friends that help you in your service for God? Would they help you get back on your feet if you fell during your Christian walk?
• Are you the kind of friend that godly Christians would seek out for a relationship? Are you the kind of person that encourages others who have fallen to rise back to their feet and go forward in their service with the Lord?
• Ask God for friends who have a strong desire to serve Him.
• Ask the Lord to help you to be a godly friend to others.
SONG: Blest Be the Tie That Binds