Acts 19:29 And the whole city was filled with confusion: and having caught Gaius and Aristarchus, men of Macedonia, Paul’s companions in travel, they rushed with one accord into the theatre.30 And when Paul would have entered in unto the people, the disciples suffered him not.
31 And certain of the chief of Asia, which were his friends, sent unto him, desiring him that he would not adventure himself into the theatre.
32 Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly was confused; and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together.
Paul’s stedfastness in the gospel message caused a stir throughout Asia. He boldly declared that the people’s idols were no gods at all. Such preaching so angered the local craftsmen that they met together to discuss how to stop Paul and end his message’s impact of their livelihood. The mass confusion intensified the fear as it spread throughout the city. As some of Paul’s companions were ushered into the theatre, the crowd cried out conflicting things to the point that many had no idea why they had even gathered together. The people’s confusion escalated. Because of conflicting reports, they were unable to discern the reality of the situation. Confusion thrives when conflicting statements or feelings are present and people fail to discern the truth.
• (For children): The book of Kings tells of a man of God who was given specific instructions about a message he was to deliver at the altar in Bethel. He repeated the instructions to Jeroboam and to a prophet whom he later met. He was confused when the prophet lied and told him something different than what God had instructed him. He should have listened to God and ignored the lies (1 Kings 13:7-10, 15-26; Galatians 1:8).
• (For everyone): Have you ever had mixed feelings about a particular issue to the point that you were confused? Where did the mixed feelings originate?
• Eve must have been confused in the garden. She had heard that she would die if she partook of the forbidden fruit, but the Devil told her she would not. Whose voice did she obey?
• Ask God for a clear mind in the presence of conflicting thoughts.
• Ask God to guard you from confusion.
SONG: AMAZING GRACE