Isaiah 2:9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not.
Isaiah 2:11 The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
Our previous studies have discussed the Bible’s built-in dictionary. Interestingly, the discovery of this method of defining words is not new. In fact, men like King James VI (also known as King James I) commented on God’s graciousness concerning His word. He pointed out that the definitions of many Bible words could be found by considering surrounding words. John Eadie explains this in his book: The English Bible, vol. 2, London, Macmillan, 1876, p. 191. Our study in humility is a case in point. The true riches of this word can only be gleaned when one considers some of the words used in close proximity of the word humble (along with its variations). These words include: croucheth (Psalm 10:10), lowly (Proverbs 16:19), boweth down (Isaiah 2:9), bowed down (Isaiah 2:11), brought down (Isaiah 5:15), hewn down (Isaiah 10:33), and abased (Luke 14:11; Luke 18:14). God wants the Bible student to understand the depths and riches of His word and words. In this case, He clearly indicated that humility results from one being brought low.
· (For children): What can you do well? Sing, quote Bible verses, or draw? Do you do these things so others will notice and brag on you? The Lord blesses you with the ability to do certain things so that you can please Him and help others in the process.
· (For everyone): The Bible reveals that humility is the opposite of pride. Therefore, no one can be both proud and humble simultaneously. Would you classify yourself as one who has a problem with pride or one who recognizes the importance of humility?
· What are some areas of your life where pride tends to rear its ugly head? What should you do when you sense that you are being overtaken with pride?
· Ask the Lord to help you focus on areas where you are proud so that you can humble yourself before Him.
· Ask the Lord to begin a work of humility in your heart.
Song: Cleanse Me