Genesis 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Marriage involves a relationship between a man and a woman, but what constitutes a scriptural marriage? Scripturally speaking, it is not merely “flesh joining flesh.” This is plain in that a man could marry a wife only to find that she had been unfaithful with another man to whom she was not married (Deuteronomy 24:1; Matthew 5:32). It is also clear that Shechem defiled Dinah, but then asked if she could become his wife (Genesis 34:1-4). The woman at the well had an improper relationship with a man, but the Lord declared that that particular man was not her husband (John 4:16-18). Instead, marriage occurs when God joins a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Mark 10:9), and it is often established by a ceremony with vows given to each other (Matthew 22:1-13; John 2:1-2).
- (For children): Marriage is one of the most serious matters. God brings a man and woman together and in His eyes, they become one. He expects this bond to last for a lifetime. It is a command, not a request (Matthew 19:6). Abraham and Sarah had troubles and trials but stayed together until Sarah died at the age of 127.
- (For everyone): Why is it important that we have a proper understanding of what marriage is? How can an unscriptural view of marriage lead to gross immorality?
- With certain aspects of relationship available only for those who are married, why does it make sense that the world would try to corrupt the means of establishing a marriage?
- Ask the Lord to give you a biblical view of marriage.
- Ask God to help your home have a godly respect for marriage.
SONG: TAKE MY LIFE AND LET IT BE