Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Death is the departure of the soul and spirit from the body, but where does each part of man end up after a man dies? A man’s body may be laid to rest in a number of ways, but it eventually gives way to corruption and decay. It is this part of man that is said to “sleep” (1 Corinthians 11:30; 1 Corinthians 15:6, 18, 51; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-15). The Bible points out that the “spirit” does not rest. Instead, it leaves the body, returning to “God who gave it” (Ecclesiastes 12:7; see also Ecclesiastes 3:21). This is true for all men, saved or lost. Yet, the soul’s departure is quite different. As man’s decision maker, the soul is the part of man that will live for all eternity in heaven (2 Corinthians 5:8) or exist forever in hell (Luke 16:23).
• (For children): When a man dies, his body stays here (Genesis 3:19) and it is said to be sleeping (1 Kings 2:1a, 10; John 11:11-14) and awaiting the first or second resurrection. The Bible says that the spirit returns to God (Luke 23:46; Acts 7:59-60). Yet, it is the soul that lives on in heaven or hell (Psalm 9:17a, Romans 2:5-9; John 3:36, Matthew 25:46).
• (For everyone): Have you trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour? If so, what does the Bible say has happened to your soul (1 Peter 1:9)? How does this give you hope for life after death?
• Can you remember a time when you were born again? If you have never trusted Christ, you will not go to heaven when you die (Luke 16:23) but will eventually end up in the lake of fire (Revelation 20:15). Please trust Christ as YOUR Saviour before it is too late.
• If you are saved, thank God for the salvation you have in Christ.
• If you are lost, call upon God for salvation.
SONG: ARE YOU WASHED IN THE BLOOD?