1 Corinthians 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Today’s verse deals with charity, the enabler for enduring all things. Christians tend to realize the importance of endurance but all too often fail in its implementation. For this reason, it is important to identify those things that hinder an individual’s endurance. Most people tend to focus on surface traits like strength, courage, and wisdom. Truly, the absence of these would be unfavourable, yet the scripture identifies charity as the key component for enduring “all things.” In other words, a lack of endurance surfaces as a result of the absence of charity in the Christian’s life. Therefore, failing to have fervent charity will eventually result in a lack of resolve. This is why the Bible says charity never faileth (1 Corinthians 13:8).
· (For children): Jesus remained on the cross to fulfil His Father’s will. He also displayed His unfailing love for us through the sacrifice of Himself. He could have come down off the cross but chose to remain because He put others first. We should do the same thing.
· (For everyone): Do you find that you have trouble enduring various things that seem to come at you from every side? Who or what do you normally blame for your shortcomings? What is the real root of your problem?
· Is your labour for the Lord constantly starting and stopping? Do you struggle to make it through life’s trials and troubles? If so, you may need to focus on the fact that the root of the problem has to do with charity. Never forget what Jesus said as He faced the cross: “Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?” (Matthew 26:53). He did not endure because of a lack of options, but because love constrained Him to do so.
· Ask God for a special love for Him and for others so that you will endure the difficulties of life.
· Pray that the Lord will work in your heart, building you up to endure life’s manifold trials.
SONG: My Jesus, I Love Thee