Ecclesiastes 7:19 Wisdom strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in the city.
“Wisdom is better than strength” (Ecclesiastes 9:16). Yet, at the same time, wisdom is strength. According to scripture, it “strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in the city” (Ecclesiastes 7:19). “A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength” (Proverbs 24:5). He “scaleth the city of the mighty, and casteth down the strength of the confidence thereof” (Proverbs 21:22). Certainly, the greater goal would be to be filled with both wisdom and strength. In fact, we are told that these two attributes make up the very nature of God. He “is mighty, and despiseth not any: he is mighty in strength and wisdom” (Job 36:5).
• (For children): Read Ecclesiastes 10:10. In this verse, how is wisdom better than strength? Consider how wisdom helped these women save a household (1 Samuel 25:5-35) and a city (2 Samuel 20:13-22). What could wisdom help you to do?
• (For everyone): The race is not always “to the swift, nor the battle to the strong” (Ecclesiastes 9:11). What part does wisdom play in this truth?
• Can you think of any events in scripture where the strong fell in battle at the feet of the wise? What practical truths can you learn from these historic events?
• Ask the Lord to give you both strength and wisdom.
• Ask God to guard you against relying upon your own strength.
SONG: O! TO BE LIKE THEE