Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
The Lord gave specific commandments to both the husband and the wife. The Lord, knowing that man’s foremost love was, by nature, himself, commanded the man to “love” his wife as Christ loved the church (Ephesians 5:25). Additionally, the Lord, knowing that a woman would not naturally desire to submit, commanded the wife to submit to her own husband, as unto the Lord. This does not suggest that she only goes along with her husband so long as she agrees with his decisions, neither does it mean that she can never offer input into the decision-making process. But, in the end, she follows her husband’s leading, trusting the Lord to bless her faithfulness.
- (For children): To submit means to willingly put yourself under the authority of another. According to Titus 2:5, to whom should wives be obedient and why? When God lays down the order in the home (Genesis 3:16) and wives do not follow this precept, they are despising His word and may cause others to do the same through their bad example.
- (For everyone): What happens when a godly lady submits to her godly husband? Read what the Bible says could happen when a godly lady submits to an ungodly husband (1 Peter 3:1-4).
- What should happen if a husband’s leadership is in direct rebellion to the plain teachings of scripture? How could Acts 5:29 be applied to this scenario? How could it be dangerous if misapplied?
- Ask the Lord to help you be obedient to His commandments.
- Thank God for the opportunity to have a biblical home.
SONG: TRUST AND OBEY