Galatians 1:14 And profited in the Jews’ religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
Many people are quite zealous of following the traditions of men. For instance, the apostle Paul was so exceedingly zealous of the traditions of his fathers that he “persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women” (Acts 22:4). This same act has been true throughout church history. History reveals that many saints of God were severely punished and even put to death for rejecting unscriptural traditions such as infant baptism. In some cases, babies were ripped from the arms of their mothers and cast into lakes and rivers. Others were tossed into arenas with lions for rejecting traditions choosing to hold up scripture. Why? Because men are zealous of their traditions and will persecute to keep their ways intact!
• (For children): God’s chosen people were zealous of their traditions of keeping the law and refused to believe Jesus was their Messiah (John 1:11; Romans 10:1-4). Their zeal caused them to want to kill Jesus (John 5:15-18).
• (For everyone): Why are people so zealous over traditions even when these traditions lack any scriptural foundation? What are some examples you know of someone persecuted or martyred for accepting the scripture rather than the traditions of men?
• What are some of the most prominent unscriptural traditions for which men have been persecuted? Where do you stand concerning these traditions?
• Ask God to give you boldness to stand for His word.
• Ask the Lord to help you to be faithful unto death.
SONG: STANDING ON THE PROMISES