Esther 2:1 After these things, when the wrath of king Ahasuerus was appeased, he remembered Vashti, and what she had done, and what was decreed against her.
2 Then said the king’s servants that ministered unto him, Let there be fair young virgins sought for the king:
3 And let the king appoint officers in all the provinces of his kingdom, that they may gather together all the fair young virgins unto Shushan the palace, to the house of the women, unto the custody of Hege the king’s chamberlain, keeper of the women; and let their things for purification be given them:
4 And let the maiden which pleaseth the king be queen instead of Vashti. And the thing pleased the king; and he did so.
The story of Esther is a wonderful story. As she and the other ladies prepared to present themselves before king Ahasuerus, they were provided with “things for purification.” The king considered their purity extremely important. The same principle holds true for the believers today. The Bible says, “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure” (1 John 3:2-3). Christians, soon to be presented to king Jesus, should grow increasingly concerned about their purity.
· (For children): The Lord could come back at any moment to take Christians home to heaven. Would you rather be obeying or disobeying? We will give an account (a reason) to God for things we have done or not done.
· (For everyone): How long do you think it will be before the Lord Jesus returns for the saved? Do you have a hope that it will be soon? What does this hope do for your desire to live pure?
· What would be most important to you if you somehow knew Christ was coming tomorrow? What would you change? What would you stop doing or start doing differently?
· Ask the Lord to remind you that His coming is nearing.
· Ask the Lord to purify you as He is pure.
Song: His Way With Thee