1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
Everyone naturally wants to be in charge and do things for their own self-fulfillment. We want to set our own schedule, plan our own activities without regarding others. Life, however, is not that simple. Everyone must willingly submit to various authorities. A lack of humility is the primary reason why we find submission so difficult. Today’s passage clearly conveys this important truth. The Bible says that the younger believers are to clothe themselves with humility thus enabling them to submit themselves to the elder. Yet, pride wants to rule our hearts and squash any humble spirit. Pride wants to sit on the throne of our hearts. The Devil displayed this attitude when he was lifted up with pride and many young Christians elevated too early in life fall into this same condemnation (1 Timothy 3:6). The Devil sought to make himself like the most High (Isaiah 14:12-14) and rob God of His rightful position. Those who want to please God must do so by submitting to Him and to others in authority. Humbling oneself before the Lord is the only means of submission.
• (For children): God the Son came to earth and took upon Himself a body of flesh. He was still God and could have been in charge of everything; yet, He willingly put Himself under the authority of God the Father. Read Philippians 2:5-8 to see how He acted.
• (For everyone): Do you long to be in charge? Do you want to be the boss? Do you enjoy telling others what to do? How do you feel when others tell you what to do? Be honest with yourself and the Lord if you truly sense rebellion as your first choice.
• Are you so rebellious and full of pride that others cannot lead you? Will there be others in heaven who can give a good account of your submission to authority (Hebrews 13:17)?
• Ask the Lord to help you humble yourself before Him.
• Ask God to help you accept the leadership of others.
SONG: I Surrender All