2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Every believer ought to faithfully read the word of God, but there is another command that is not to be neglected. According to 2 Timothy 2:15, believers can show themselves approved unto God by studying the scriptures. One can read through the scriptures on a daily basis without ever truly studying the scriptures. In order to study, one must delve into the words and phrases of the Bible and consider their meaning both historically and doctrinally. Few believers take time to read their Bibles, but even fewer take time to study it. In fact, the modern versions have removed the command to study from 2 Timothy 2:15. Somebody has tried to hide God’s desire for believers to study. No doubt it is the same one who walks about seeking someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8).
• (For children): God gave us His word to tell us what’s right, what’s wrong, how to get right and how to stay right (2 Timothy 3:16). Consider this analogy. A flashlight would be of little value to you in the dark if you never turned it on. God’s word will be of more value to you if you study it (Psalm 119:105).
• (For everyone): How often do you take the time to study the definition of a word or phrase as used by the Lord? Do you run straight to the dictionary or do you look it up in the scriptures?
• Reading the Bible gives surface knowledge while study of the scriptures delves into the deeper thoughts. Why is it important that believers delve into individual passages?
• Ask the Lord to teach you how to study His word.
• Ask the Lord to give you a special blessing as you study.